On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 10:03:20PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2018 at 05:34:44PM +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > Thinking laterally, I removed 'wicd wicd-gtk wicd-daemon python-wicd
> > wpasupplicant' and rebooted. I now had my fixed IP. Re-installed the
> > packages I had removed and rebooted again, wicd now worked correctly.
> >
> > If Devuan wants to continue using wicd, I think it is going to have to
> > install net-tools as part of the install.
> >
> > Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> thanks. Bottom line is: we should Recommends: net-tools every time a
> task Recommends: wicd. This has been reported by a couple more
> users. The issue has arisen since net-tools is not any more Priority:
> standard in Stretch, so it won't get installed in the base system. We
> could indeed just fork the package and increase its priority, solving
> the problem once and for all. We'll discuss that and go for the most
> reasonable alternative ;)

Just an update on this: there will soon be a "new" net-tools in
ascii-proposed (version 1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1+devuan1), with the
correct Priority: important. The package is unmodified from Debian,
just rebuilt. Actually, the Debian source package still has the
correct Priority: important, while the binary strangely has Priority:
optional ...o_O It must have been a last-minute override in Stretch.

Please test the "new" package. I guess we will include the
ascii-proposed version in ascii straight away.

My2Cents

KatolaZ