On 20.03.18 15:26, Florian Zieboll wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:58:08 +1100
> Erik Christiansen <dva...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> > "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt.
> > DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
>
> That looks like you used some 3rd-party tool like unetbootin to create
> the boot-stick. The easiest way, as stated by Didier Kryn earlier in
> this thread, would be to simply 'dd' the iso to the raw device.

I first thought "Ah goody, mistakes are fine so long as I learn from
them.", but then I did a ^r on the commandline to check, and found:

(reverse-i-search)`dd': dd
if=~/Downloads/devuan_ascii_2.0.0-beta_i386_NETINST.iso of=/dev/sdb1
bs=512k

There had been debian 9 on that stick, placed with unetbootin, but I'd
expected the dd to fully overwrite it. I might try doing it all again,
after I overcome a more immediate problem.

The dd of Jessie netinst did copy OK, and install, but there's a boot
problem with it, and I'll start another subthread to keep things
coherent.

Erik