On 20.03.18 19:58, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 19.03.18 11:46, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> > as a workaround, I'd try to use the netinstall image, if there's a
> > connection available for that machine.
>
> Thanks Florian, that worked with devuan_jessie_1.0.0_i386_NETINST.iso

After the netinstall finished, jessie boots, scrolling a bunch of
textual info up the screen, complete with comforting green [OK] flags on
many lines - then the screen goes blank, after a spray of coloured dots
across the screen, and nothing further eventuates. It's too fast for me
to catch much of the text, coming at ten lines a second or more.

I'm not sure if it's relevant that it's an HDMI monitor, but if the code
drives that during the early boot sequence, would it switch to something
else later? And the screen isn't totally black, as it was for a second
earlier in the boot - there's a dim almost-black overall illumination.

Any hints would fall on dry soil, as I'm a little perplexed as to the
next step when the critter won't talk to me at all.

Erik