I would mostly agree with the point you're driving at, though I don't think I
would blame individuals who use javascript responsibly.

javascript is much like flash player in that sense, widespread use and used in
situations where it's not useful or needed (read: abused).

IMHO, I  think there should be a simpler replacement for javascript that can't
be bloated to begin with.

At minimum, I'd like to see browsers blocking certain possibilities from
javascript. Much like privoxys js-annoyances filter, or similar to the way
librejs works allowing only trivial stuff.

Yes, I think we wouldn't need powerful cpus for most every day usages then.

​Cheers,

chillfan