On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 05:36:22PM +0200, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 03:41:40PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 02:11:33PM +0200, KatolaZ wrote:
> > > + amd64:       61%
> > > + i386         24%
> >
> > This is troubling.  There's a strong reason to deprecate i386, and relegate
> > it to a level akin to mips or s390x -- ie, with security support but
> > requiring a conscious decision to install.  There are people with hardware
> > that genuinely lacks the NX bit, but it's only them who should be running
> > i386.  You can read one of Linus' rants when discussing techniques needed
> > for mitigating melted spectrum on 32-bit kernels on 64-bit capable hardware
> > (TL;DR: it really sucks performance wise, compared to vulnerable
> > (out-of-order) but 32-bit only CPUs), that's just one of reasons why.
> >
> > I guess you make download links for i386 installer way too prominent,
> > without offering an explanation.
>
> uh? How are the i386 links "way too prominent"? The isos are just
> there, and there is no blinking link. If people download those images,
> it means that they need them. Why should Devuan "hide" them away?

The problem is that people are not told why they should away from i386, and
when faced with a choice they don't understand they often make a bad
decision.

> I mean, there are not many distributions out there still offering
> support for i686 hardware, and we have actually received many emails
> of users who thank Devuan for supporting i686 and letting them
> continue using their "old" hardware that you would like to see
> discontinued.

I'm not suggesting dropping support -- to the contrary, shifting back to 586
would be a good idea!  My point is, there's no way 28% of x86 users are on
pre-2004 hardware, thus the vast majority of them got the wrong version
that's insecure (no Meltdown/Spectre mitigation, no NX, worse ASLR, etc),
has issues with "large" memory (even phones these days tend to have 4+GB
RAM), can't run an increasing portion of software, and gets weak or no
support from many upstreams.  All of those would be better served with
amd64.

> I know that the technologically sound solution in our western (rich)
> world would be to buy newer hardware as soon as it is available, but
> you don't always have that option, as strange as that migh sound to
> you.

Used hardware is drastically cheaper, yeah.  But only to a point -- once you
get to machines so old to require i386, you start getting ridiculous
electricity usage.  I still have a Pentium 4 desktop I sometimes power on to
test stuff -- it draws so much juice that you can buy three i3 laptops for
the money it takes to keep that P4 running for a year.

Thus, Core 2 Duo would be the weakest hardware that's common and not
counterproductive to use.  You can get heaps of these going to landfills.

> And the recently discovered flaws in newer CPUs cast some doubt
> about the technological soundness of the consumerist "let's get the
> latest on the market" approach anyway.

Right, in-order hardware is safe here.  I like my 2017 Pinebook I bought for
$89.  It would be nifty if you could run Devuan on such i386 machines,
right?  Right?!?  Oh well, did you patch gcc defaults to re-enable older
CPUs and rebuilt the world?  Because if not, they just happen to sit right
on the line cutting off any in-order traditional machines (I say
"traditional" as there was a short run of 32-bit Atoms a bit later).  Thus,
this argument doesn't hold water.

> I remain strongly convinced that maintaining i686 support as long as
> possible should remain an ongoing objective for Devuan.

For people who actually need it -- I fully agree with you.  But for folks on
amd64-capable hardware: no way!  Right now, you promote i386 as strongly as
amd64; compare to https://debian.org where you need to actually look if you
want i386 installer.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ There's an easy way to tell toy operating systems from real ones.
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Just look at how their shipped fonts display U+1F52B, this makes