On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 at 19:38:55 +0200
Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:

[...]

> The problem is that people are not told why they should away from i386, and

  Of course they are, it's all over the Internet.

> when faced with a choice they don't understand they often make a bad
> decision.

  Do you mean that when you tell them they do not listen/understand?  Most
people lack good judgement and technical expertise to take basic security
steps when they use their PCs anyway, just think of all those who still run
Microsoft or Apple products!  ;-)

>> I mean, there are not many distributions out there still offering
>> support for i686 hardware, and we have actually received many emails
>> of users who thank Devuan for supporting i686 and letting them
>> continue using their "old" hardware that you would like to see
>> discontinued.
>
> I'm not suggesting dropping support -- to the contrary, shifting back to 586
> would be a good idea!  My point is, there's no way 28% of x86 users are on
> pre-2004 hardware,

  We already went throught this in the past.
  Intel only stopped producing 32 bit PIV in 2008, according to Wikipedia.
Myself I still operate a 3.4GHz PIV made in 2007.  And there still are 32bit
x86 machines being produced and marketed to this day:

http://www.compactpc.com.tw/product.aspx?act=detail&id=680

  I do agree most of 32bit systems in use today are not new units but legacy
PCs, still they are secure enough when they are used as servers that only
run their own distribution's software.  How are you going to upload and run
malware that could take advantage of side-channel and speculative execution
attack vectors?  I do not think they are still being used as workstations,
they are a slug when you use them to browse present day JS- and CSS-laden web
sites.

Alessandro