On 7-May-2007, at 12:35, Paul Vixie wrote:

2.1.5. DNS label compression allows a domain name to be instantiated
    only once per DNS message, and then referenced with a two-octet
    "pointer" from other locations in that same DNS message ...

I think this should say "... allows the component labels of a domain
name to be instantiated exactly once per DNS message, and then
referenced..." This is clearer to me than the text above, ...

...but wrong. label pointers aren't subroutine calls, they're goto's. so if you want to represent root-server.org and root-servers.net in the same
message, you will have to fully instantiate "root-servers" twice, even
though both of them could be followed by pointers to "net" and "org" if
those appear elsewhere in the message.

Oh! I stand corrected. Thanks :-)

Joe