> >Anyone who is
> >going to submit proposals for dns technology should not include encumbered
> >IPR.
>
> This is an ideology statement. Patents apply in very diversified fields
> of human activity. In the case of DNS, according to public records,
> Verisign filed patent applications in the provisioning protocol area
> (e.g. by the inventor name Hollenbeck); UltraDNS did the same in the
> area of load balancing for DNS nameservers; an inventor by the name
> "William C. Manning" of El Segundo, California also has an application
> related to DNS.
>
> - Thierry Moreau

        Mr Thierry Moreau,

        It is true that my name is on a patent regarding DNS load balancing.
        It is also true that we NEVER attempted to ramrod our technology
        down the IETF standards track and in not doing so, we left open
        the market to select other choices on how to perform load balancing.

        From here, it seems that your patented ideas are designed to inhibit
        standardization of useful and most likely implementable ideas that
        a patent fight would discover as being valid by way of prior art.
        However the cost of performing patent litigation detracts from
        the standardization effort.  Weighing the cost, most folks will
        not fight.  Some may use your patented ideas and pay you the fees
        you desire.  Others will likely go the less costly route of NOT
        implementing, generally weakening the overall system.

        The end game, as seen from here, is that the DNS overall, will be a
        weaker, more vulnerable system - BECAUSE you have chosen to extract
        (recognition/cash) from the gulible and prevented others from doing
        work by legally claiming ownership and persisting on pushing these
        encumbered ideas in/through the standards process.

        Do you care that the DNS will be weak?  Certainly you do. It allows
        you to push your IPR-encumbered solutions.  And by claiming IPR
        on most of the IETF work, you restrict any other options from being
        available...  even if they are technolgically superior and even if
        they are only tangentially related to your IPR-encumbered ideas. So you
        are the benificiary of a weak DNS.  And the Internet world suffers.

        Just my 0.02 yuan.

--bill