On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 04:58:18PM +0800,
>  ?????? <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>  a message of 85 lines which said:
>
> > Thanks, Dean,
>
> Lican, I must tell you that associating with a known troll like
> D. A. is not a good idea to spread your ideas. Almost everything in
> his message is completely wrong (for instance, in the Nanog discussion
> he talked about, *one* network operator made the mistake to identify
> DNS+TCP with AXFR and he was promptly corrected by everyone else).

Since my credibility is challenged, let me respond to that challenge: In
the recent NANOG discussion, there were several 22 people involved and
33 messages on the subject over 3 days from June 13 to June 16.  At
least 2 were asserting that DNS doesn't use TCP for anything but AXFR
and would be "very concerned" to find TCP queries. Many more seemed to
feel that TCP was only a fallback when UDP failed, which is also
incorrect.  So Mr. Bortzmeyer can't even accurately report a discussion.
By contrast, my reports are consistently reliable and correct. I've been
vindicated on many controversial issues. Mr. Bortzmeyer's reports have
not been so reliable, and he has not been so vindicated.

> > For example, the fibre cables connecting US with China was broken by
> > earthquake, then almost all web pages was unreachable even the
> > machine was in China because of root servers are located in USA.
>
> Like in your Internet-Draft, this sentence shows a big lack of
> knowledge about the DNS you pretend to fix.  There are root servers
> instance in China for many years. Anyway, a few seconds after it
> starts, any DNS resolver in China has certainly the names and
> addresses of ".cn" name servers in its cache and can lose connectivity
> with the root without big problems.

I can think of no reason why anyone outside of ISC should know what ISC
doesn't report to ICANN.  So Mr. Bortzmeyer's criticism of Dr. Huang's
lack of knowledge of ISC customers seems to be baseless.

It is indeed rumored, and I've seen several people from ISC report that
there are indeed copies of F-root in China.  However, this is a
commercial operation of ISC, not a decision of IANA. ISC could remove
those Anycast servers at any time.  ISC is not obligated or regulated in
any way regarding the location of these servers. As far as I know, ISC
only reports the number, not the locations of the servers or the ISC
customers to the ICANN RSSAC.  Indeed, it is my understanding that in
some cases, the ISC customer only allows the Anycast route inside its
network. In those cases, those ISPs have a root copy for their own
use, benefiting them and no one else, except of course, ISC.

                --Dean

617 344 9000