On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 05:37:22PM +0000, bmann...@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>       i happen to agree w/ David here.  there really is no serious technical

I would generally encourage that trend.

>       the downsides are the LEOS (protecting our security), and the Shylocks
>       who need to collect what remains of the lunch money.

I do not particularly disagree with your conclusion, but I believe
your assessment of the 'downsides' is incomplete in at least one
regard;

The system in place currently has a benefit in that it is trivially
simple.  Very few implementations have gotten this wrong over the
years, and when they have it was trivially simple to debug.  Query,
reply.  Comparatively, DNSSEC recursive resolution is significantly
more complex, and the scope of the deployment of that resolution
becomes a multiplier in the costs to deploy and maintain a web of
interoperating systems.

That said, I think recursive resolution can and should be pushed into
the end hosts, but that solution may not be universal, and it may be
discovered to be intractable, so it is also wise to invest in an
interim solution that can potentially be maintained for an extended
period.

I believe some ideas for that were mentioned already.

--
David W. Hankins        "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer                    you'll just have to do it again."