Dear All,

Sorry for crossposting.

This proposal is the opposite with the principle how the DNS is developed a while ago. The DNS is a highly distributed, hierarchical, autonomous, reliable database with very useful extensions. This modification is proposing lying about the existence of the record

The modification is proposed to hide the database record that is used for communication. I am not favor such a modification since:

1. I think we need evidence, that majority of the AAAA queries are going via IPv6 (if the client has working IPv6 and the DNS zones has the necessary AAAA for the zones).

2. Plenty of users still use WinXP, where DNS query via IPv6 is not possible. Probably other systems with similar limitations also exists. This can very negatively impacting the IPv6 usage.

3. There is only few broadband CPE devices deployed at homes are capable of providing DNS information via DHCPv6. Only very recently they started to appear. Thus the addresses of the DNS servers are propagated via DHCP. Therefore these broadband users, however they are IPv6 enabled, will essentially use IPv4 address to reach DNS servers. Will you enable returning AAAA records to these caching servers?

If yes. Will you get any information about the broadband ipv6 connectivity?

If no. You are excluding caching server users from ipv6?

4. How your scheme will work the caching DNS server - commonly deployed by ISPs to serve their constituency.

5. What about the caching in the DNS server? Will they be flushed when IPv6 or IPv4 connectivity changed? IPv6 connectivity changes of who?

6. Your modification is treating some portion of the users as a second class netizen. They cannot really query AAAA records.... IPv6 is so secret, that we have to hide from them?

Sorry for being sometimes sarcastics

Janos Mohacsi
Head of HBONE+ project
Network Engineer, Deputy Director of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882