At 13:58 -0400 3/30/10, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

Because we're about to run out of v4 addresses, according to the
people in charge of giving them out.

I've heard that before. The "run out" does not mean an end to the IPv4 network. There will still be 4 billion IPv4 network addresses (yes, a fraction are unusable) in working order plus all the NATted pools out there. The "run out" is a problem for network growth.

"Run out" of the IANA and then the RIR free pools does not change the addresses I am handed by my ISP. And as long as my ISP is alive, price-competitive, and handing my IPv4, I'm still going to use IPv4. If my ISP instead starts only offering me IPv6, I'll use that, and if that means I need to upgrade my cable modem I assume they'll handle just like they handled the conversion from analog to digital TV, with a box swap or add-on or firmware or such.

Why should I want to use IPv6 if IPv4 is still working for me? I'm not saying "you'll get my IPv4 when it pry it from my cold, dead hands" - it's simply a question of "why try to bias my choice towards IPv6?" To keep this from an IPv6 rathole - "and why try to involve DNS in this? Don't we want to keep the DNS policy neutral?"

(One of my ten commandments: "No long terms solutions for short term problems.")