On Mar 30, 2010, at 12:40 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:
> Because it recently dawned on me that biasing in favor of v6 is the
> root of the evil, not the run out of v4.

Biasing stupidly is the root of all evil.  Stuart Cheshire explained how to
make this work, and it's going to be a standard feature in MacOS 10.7, but
there's no reason why we can't fix ssh now.   Your syscall, or library call,
should be saying "here's a name, give me a connection to it," not "what's the
IP address of this name" and then "now make a connection to that IP address."

Your argument boils down to saying that as apps become IPv6-capable, they
should still prefer IPv4 if it's available.   But that's just squandering an
opportunity for win.   The right thing to be doing is fixing applications so
that they do the *right* thing, not fixing them so that they do something very
much like what they were doing before, only with a different bias.

The question of whether to break AAAA records is one small piece of this larger
discussion, and if you make a choice here that prevents the right thing being
done at the higher layer, that's a *really* bad outcome.