[ Quoting <nwea...@icsi.berkeley.edu> in "Re: [DNSOP] NOTE RR type for
confid..." ]

On May 27, 2014, at 1:32 PM, Miek Gieben <m...@miek.nl> wrote:

[ Quoting <e...@isc.org> in "[DNSOP] NOTE RR type for confidenti..." ]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hunt-note-rr-00.txt

Interesting idea!

What happens if a server get these records and doesn't know about NOTE
and treats them as unknown records?

Thats why the EDNS0 signaling is particularly clever in this proposal: A server would have to know about the NOTE record to receive them in a zone transfer, so as long as the source knows what its doing, the recipient will only receive the NOTE records if they know what they are.

Ack, and I agree with your suggestion about not allocating a edns0 bit for this.
But still, my gut feeling says that NOTE records can leak, for all intent and purposes your *are* putting comments in DNS data. I wouldn't put my database
password in an NOTE RR :/

/Miek

--
Miek Gieben