On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 04:08:29PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> I'm interested in why you think a flag bit is more elegant than an
> option, as I agree with Nicholas that the latter is preferable.

As with any argument that resorts to "elegance", it's a matter of
taste.  A single bit, which is already being sent though currently
undefined, versus 32 bits that wouldn't otherwise need to be sent,
and the unavoidable necessity of parsing OPT past the header.  It
just seems cleaner to me, and in the absence of other considerations
it seems the obvious way to design a feature like this.  (DNSSEC, by
example, is a little bit like this: omitting some response data if a
flag bit is not set.)

However, other considerations do exist, and I'm not married to it.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.