ebersman> IPv6 is still in early adoption for broad general use and we
ebersman> don't know what plans folks have for requiring PTRs.

TLemon> I apologize for picking and choosing from your response, but I
TLemon> think this sums it up perfectly: if we do not yet know what
TLemon> plans they have, then we need not care.
[...]
TLemon> So if e.g. Comcast were coming to us right now and saying "we're
TLemon> getting a lot of phone calls because of foo," then we could talk
TLemon> about foo.

Comcast (or any large company/provider) does not move nimbly. The IETF
does not move nimbly. Vendors do not implement what the IETF specifies
energetically without beating/cash.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that I should avoid borrowing
trouble. However, I'd say that looking ahead and trying to be prepared
for things that seem likely is not borrowing trouble; it's being
prepared.

If I wait until I have screaming customers, I have months and months of
hell before I have any solution.

Hence why I'm suggesting that we document v4 PTR usage and make
recommendations on what we think are appropriate usage. If we can get a
better idea of what bad ideas are being done now and try to folks to not
do this, then we can indeed maintain the pleasant status quo in v6 PTRs.