On 11/20/14 11:27 AM, Evan Hunt wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:13:42AM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
Slaving the zone into the same view/instance as the recursion has the
advantage that when changes happen to the data in the zone the recursive
view/instance will be updated as soon as it receives its copy of the
zone. When using a separate view for slaving the zone the recursive
instance will cache all of the queries it looks up. Currently the TTL
for DS and delegation NS records is 2 days.

Accurate summary, but as this is the same behavior as you get when using
traditional root servers, I'm not sure it makes sense to characterize
it as a disadvantage.

Well I tried to be neutral about that, for just the reason you mention. (I don't actually call it a disadvantage, I just point out the behavior.) To be fair, I think it actually *is* a disadvantage, so perhaps my thoughts on that are clouding my ability to be objective.

How about adding the following to the second-to last sentence, "... looks up, as it would using the traditional root hints method."

Does that sound more balanced?

Doug