Steve Crocker writes:

 > > For the alpha 3-code the complete user assigned set is:
 > >
 > >    AAA-AAZ, QMA-QZZ, XAA-XZZZ and ZZA to ZZZ
 > >
 > > so one could argue that the delegations for TLD xyz (and maybe xxx) is
 > > a actually against the rules in ICANN�s Application Guide Book.
 >
 > It's my understanding that only the two character codes are included in the
 > relationship between DNS top level names and ISO 3166-1.  Three letter codes
 > aren't included, so there's no conflict.

There is a relation between aplha-3 codes and gTLDS. In my reading of
Applicants Guide Book Section 2.2.1.4 point 1, apha-3 codes are
considered an off limits if listed in ISO 3166-3. (That's why google
retracted some applications because they collided with his rule).

Of course, the list above is "1918-like space" but still so it doesn't
matter that much;. However, one might want to be consistent in
threating 1918-like thingies.

        jaap