Colleagues,

As we pursue this discussion, I think it would be helpful to focus on
attributes that are visible and relevant from the perspective of DNS operators,
with an eye towards guidance we might provide to them and applications
developers.

For example, the distinction between gTLDs and ccTLDs is of great importance to
ICANN and to participants in its decisions, but of less obvious relevance to an
application developer or DNS operator who sees only "name that gets a positive
response to a DNS query against the public root zone."

It seems to me, as a first cut, that the important thing to take into account
here is that the production DNS root zone is dynamic-- just as any other chunk
of the namespace. We're accustomed to thinking of the root zone as special, and
indeed it's still far less dynamic than other areas of the namespace, for good
reason-- but it's not static. Rules we try to derive today could change within
foreseeable time. (Some of us are/were opposed to the decisions that resulted
in this fact, but it remains a fact.)

It further seems to me that an attempt to list names that are currently in the
public root zone or might someday be in the public root zone has a high risk of
being simply backwards if the purpose is to identify names it's "safe" to use
in other contexts because they won't collide with names in the public root
zone.  Our current approach as documented in RFC 6761 comes at this question
from the perspective that the IETF can declare whatever names it likes to be so
"protected" by extending the standard with a new entry in the special use names
registry, but takes no account of any possible distinctions between names
currently in use at an arbitrary time for the DNS, names that will (or even
might) be in use at a future time for the DNS, and any other categories.

We might want to decide which, if any, of such distinctions are meaningful for
the purposes of the IETF identifying "special use names".

best,
Suzanne