On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM, The IESG <iesg-secret...@ietf.org> wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
> (dnsop) to consider the following document:
> - 'The .onion Special-Use Domain Name'
>   <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> as Proposed Standard

> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> i...@ietf.org mailing lists by 2015-08-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to i...@ietf.org instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>
> This document uses the Special-Use Domain Names registry to register the
> '.onion' Top Level Domain (TLD) for the Tor Network. This is deemed
> necessary
> for hosts on the ToR network to apply for and receive legitimate SSL
> Certificates.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld/ballot/

(Speaking for myself)

I support this document.  This seems to be one of the cases that the
special use registry should be used for.

I would note that the SSL cert is incorrect for the
https://www.onion-router.net/Publications/tor-design.pdf link, so it would
be good if either the cert or the URL could be corrected.  (Cert is for the
name torproject.org and *.torproject.org)