> On 16 Jul 2015, at 3:35 am, Francisco Obispo <fobi...@uniregistry.com> wrote:
>
> +1.
>
> I don’t think IETF should be chasing around widely used TLDs and trying to
> block them, it will be a never ending chase.
>
> We are trying to mitigate against unknowns and perhaps the best solution is
> to have the TOR folks apply for .ONION on the next round of TLD application
> and get a fully qualified delegation.
>
> Basically saying: If you need a globally unique identifier in the DNS, you
> must register it with the competent entity. If noy, you run the risk of
> having your users leak their queries and possibly connect to the wrong
> service.

        There are legitimate reasons why Tor users might not want privacy
leakage even to the Tor Project itself.
> This should make a better proposal for standard, basically reinforcing the
> one DNS one Internet message, and not the “Make sure you are leaking enough
> queries so that the IETF can then reserve the name for you”.
>
> Who are we trying to protect with this remedy? TOR users? have they shown any
> interest in being protected?

        Given that Tor is designed for privacy protection, I think it is not
unreasonable to assume that its users are interested in having their privacy
protected. They may not be aware of this specific issue, but we can presume
that they put some trust in the Tor project developers, who clearly want this
draft to go through (given co-authorship).

        David