I have a strong objection to this document.

In the introduction is it said:

"The DNS specification [RFC1034] [RFC1035] does not include specific
   guidance for the behaviour of DNS servers or clients in this
   situation.  This document aims to provide such guidance."

It is true that the original documents did not give specific rules for
"ANY".   But the original documents rarely gave specific rules for any
features of the DNS.

Over the years many implementations and operations set-ups have handled
ANY queries.  Up until recently they have all done so consistently and in
a manner in conflict with this document.  When an authoritative server
received a ANY query for a domain name, all of the RRsets available for
the name were included in the response.  In recursive servers, whatever
sets were in hand were returned, if none, a lookup was done to gain as
many records as came available.

I don't see the justification (that being scant documentation) for
re-defining the expectation of what happens in response to an ANY query as
being sufficient to redefine actions.  Merely relying on the paucity of
words in an original definition, and claiming "any" does not mean "all"
is, to me, "just playing with words."

OTOH, I appreciate the concern over ANY queries.  And in May one DNS
operator ceased behaving as was the long-term tradition (without notice).

I propose two criteria for breaking from tradition.  One is sufficient
notice (not necessarily from the operator, an RFC on this would do),
meaning that there is a defined notice to "fallback" to another approach.
Two is a response that is explicitly signaling that the source is not
going to answer ANY queries in the traditional manner.  In my opinion,
co-opting a rarely used record is akin to co-opting the TXT record, a
practice that has been traditionally frowned upon.

There are private types available.  While these do not have an explicit
signal of "why" they do not co-opt an otherwise defined record.

Gaining a new RR type is not difficult, not in the wake of the SPF vs. TXT
record debacle that has played out over the past decade or so.

In designing a protocol, it is important that the two communicating end
points have appropriate expectations and that is what my complaint is
centered upon.  Co-opting a record without warning disrupts legacy
implementations - in this case especially needlessly as there has been
little if any diversion in implmentations despite the scant words in the
RFCs.  Co-opting also causes future implementations some uncertainty in
diving whether the "old" meaning of the record is intended or if the
"newer" meaning is intended.