I think the mapping of SMTP (a protocol, an over-the wire framing and
dialogue about exchanging mail) has been crossed (crossing-the-beam
crossed) with a ROLE. a client can be an SMTP speaker, and a
forwarder/delivery agent can be an SMTP speaker. They aren't performing the
sale role.

So does DANE want to identify the ROLE being performed or the protocol
being used to do it? How would DANE feel if instead of SMTP it said
DECNet-Mail?

The sub-domain thing, is that a real zone-cut? Are there detectable zone
boundaries? Or is this mapping dot-separated elements but without implying
a zone-cut?

-G