>I understand Andrew's point to be that the decision process regarding
>trademark, etc., disputes will
>take place as part of the review process inherent in meeting the requirements
>for publishing 'an IETF
>"Standards Action" or "IESG Approval" specification', which is required in RFC
>6761 for adding a name
>to the registry.

I read it somewhat differently: trademark issues are not technical and
insofar as they're anyone's problem, they're ICANN's.  There's lots of
other non-technical arguments about who gets to put names where, such
as the endless argument about .AFRICA which is now taking a detour
through U.S. courts.

One of the things to consider in a 6761 evaluation is whether it's
really a technical proposal or whether someone's trying to make an end
around the ICANN process.  If it's really a trademark dispute or
something else that isn't technically different from the DNS, it's not
our problem.

R's,
John