Dear colleagues,

Thanks to John for this input, and all who've commented so far; but I'd like to
use John's comment to slightly re-focus this conversation.

It has seemed to me from the beginning of this discussion, and even the
establishment of the special use names registry, that it's fairly easy to get
caught up in this aspect of the discussion, which focuses on the implications
of using specific strings in specific contexts. In particular, we tend to focus
on possible collisions between the special use names registry and the registry
representing the public DNS root zone, and on hand-wringing over the fact those
registries are operated by different parties.

While it's true there's potential for such collisions, and easy to argue that
the potential needs attention in forming any solutions, potential collision
between those registries is not necessarily the only or the biggest issue we
have to address.

So I think it would be good to consider the broader issues, which are not
specific to which strings are used in which context.

It seems to me that "the bigger picture" needs to consider that the use of
domain names is diverging in certain ways from practices and procedures for
allocating names for use in other contexts, including but not limited to the
DNS protocol context. This is leading to various complications, including
possible (and even actual) collisions among domain names as used in different
contexts; uncertainty around whether a given name can or can't be instantiated
in a given context; the interaction between IETF registries and what's
essentially protocol development taking place outside of IETF process; and some
other architectural and operational issues arising from the fact people find
domain names useful outside of DNS protocol (and indeed, they always have).

I'd like very much to see us separate issues that depend on *which* strings are
used, such as whether anyone's process includes a provision for avoiding a
specific type of collision, from issues we'd have even if we've set aside a
subset of the namespace structured to avoid policy issues arising from the use
of the domain name space in the DNS root.

As a practical focus: sometime ago, DNSOP adopted and then parked
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld/. This draft proposes
a special use names registry entry that would be expected to function as the
rightmost label in names intended for resolution outside of the DNS protocol:
something of a meta-protocol switch.

Assuming we understand the problems a bit better now than we did before,
particularly given the experience of .onion, which of the problems we've seen
would be solved by telling people "You can use any domain names you want, but
the safe choice for avoiding operational and policy collisions with DNS
protocol and namespace is to root your chosen domain name space under .alt"?

Which technical issues would persist?

If, as some people have argued, the only problem we really have here is
separating domain names that might be used in the DNS from domain names
available for use in other resolution contexts, it may be that ".alt" is both
necessary and sufficient to support future experiment and development in the
use of domain names.

Will that do it? If not, why not?

The question of how to think about name resolution context in the internet in
general-- even separately from domain names-- is the departure point for the
ARCING BoF.  But the concerns addressed in the special-names-problem draft,
regarding how domain names are used by DNS and possibly other name resolution
protocols, seem to be still within scope for DNSOP.

thanks,
Suzanne