>_alt or even _ would be better labels for this purpose.  Part of the
>goal has been to make these strings usable in applications (in "domain
>name slots", as 5890 calls them).  Would "_" work?  Would "_alt"?  I
>have doubts, but I thought I'd ask.

I don't think so.  The URI definition in RFC 3986 says the host is a
"reg-name" which refers to section 2.1 of RFC 1123 which says a
hostname is letters, digits, and hyphens.  So underscores won't work
in names in web browsers which are, as far as I can tell, the main
place people are likely to use these names-that-are-not-names.

Nice thought, though.

R's,
John