Mark,

I agree that a physical solution could be a workable option (and a nice one),
BUT....

On Nov 17, 2016, at 6:46 AM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org<mailto:ma...@isc.org>>
wrote:

Is it that hard to add a sim or sd card reader?  This is the solution
the cable industry uses for its crypto issues but with bigger form
factor cards.

... the home CPE market is extremely LOW-margin right now. Service providers
and regular home users are looking for the cheapest options out there. Adding
in a card reader adds cost and complexity - and a potential tech support issue
- and the reality is that I suspect the *vast* majority of users will not ever
run into this issue.  Most users will buy the box and connect it to their
network and have the trust anchors just work.

Given the low margin, my suspicion is that most CPE manufacturers would NOT
want to add in any additional components to solve what for them would be an
edge case in terms of volume.

Just my 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/