On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 01:12:06PM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> One would hope it interops, as this document only describes an IXFR/AXFR
> of a zone with existing RRTYPEs with some semantics associated to CNAME
> records for other applications (such as DNS servers)

The "some semantics" parts are what is standardized. The rest is indeed good
old DNS. The "some semantics" parts need to interoperate because otherwise
they don't mean the same thing here and there, and we can't create a hybrid
internet ecosystem.

It is important the 'some semantics', which by the way are real work to
implement correctly, are standardized.

        Bert