Stephane wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 03:28:29PM -0500,
>  Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote
>  a message of 103 lines which said:
>
> > or 2: request that the IANA insert an insecure delegation in the
> > root, pointing to a: AS112 or b: an empty zone on the root or c"
> > something similar.
>
> Here, people may be interested by draft-bortzmeyer-dname-root (expired
> but could be revived). The main objection was the privacy issue
> (sending user queries to the "random" operators of AS112.)

My opinion on these issues are as follows, roughly:

   - I am in favor of AS112 for ALT
   - For AS112, I prefer the AS112++ method (DNAME)
   - I do not see why the DNAME would/should not be DNSSEC signed
   - Any local use of ALT can be served locally and signed using an
   alternative trust anchor
   - I don't think there is any issue with having both the NXD from the
      root, and the local assertion of existence, both present (in cache and in
      authoritative data respectively)
      - Maybe there are issues with specific implementations?
      - If anyone knows of such problems, it would be helpful to identify
      them along with the implementation and version
   - For AS112 privacy, perhaps someone should write up a recommendation to
   set up local AS112 instances, to provide privacy, as an informational RFC?
      - Even simply through resolver configurations, without a full AS112
      "announce routes"?
      - Do any resolver packages offer such a simple AS112 set-up?
      - Maybe the efforts for privacy should start there (implement first,
      then document)?
      - Do any stub resolver packages include host-local AS112
      features/configurations?

Overall, I'm obviously in favor of use of ALT, and for signing whatever is
done for ALT, and for use of DNAME for ALT.

Brian "DNAME" Dickson