Mark,

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 3:56 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>

> In message
> <cahw9_i+8pa3fqx8fqw-xq_96it7k-g5urmb7fxarui1gwq+...@mail.gmail.com>, Warren K
> umari writes:
>> This is a fine thing to request in an IANA consideratons, but isn't
>> necessarily *useful* -- the IANA has the technical ability to add
>> stuff to the root zone, but not the mandate (this is like walking into
>> a bank and requesting the teller gives you a bunch of money - they may
>> be able to do so, but aren't actually allowed to.. :-)).
>
> Actually it isn't the same.
>
> Implicit in the agreement that the IETF can get names in the root
> namespace is the ability to use them.  Some uses require that there
> be a entry in the root zone.
>
> It doesn't say that the IETF can "RESERVE" a name.  The IETF gets
> the name.

Can you suggest a citation for this belief that can be included in the problem
statement draft?

It’s not a view that’s ever been discussed as far as I can recall and it seems
to me that it would be difficult to get consensus on it across the affected
communities. But I’m always willing to be wrong.

thanks,
Suzanne