> On Feb 1, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>
>> I'm confused.   The .ALT TLD is expected to be used for non-DNS name
>> lookups.   So isn't a secure denial of existence exactly what we want for
>> .ALT?
>
> No.
>
>>  What is the utility in having an un-signed delegation?
>
> Alt can be used for whatever purpose that the user wants to use it
> for including names served using the DNS protocol.

The draft restricts use of .alt as follows:

   This label is intended to be used as
   the final (rightmost) label to signify that the name is not rooted in
   the DNS, and that normal registration and lookup rules do not apply.

...which would lead me to believe .alt would not be used for names served using
the DNS protocol.

However, the phrase "not rooted in the DNS" might need some clarification.

In particular, would ".homenet.alt" be OK, as it is a locally-served zone, not
a subdomain of the root zone?

- Ralph