Ondřej Surý wrote:
I strongly disagree. The DNS protocol deserve cleanup. Deprecating
RRTYPEs doesn’t mean the will stop working on the day the RFC is
published, neither are people going to backport the removal of
RRTYPEs to existing DNS software releases.

It just means - whatever ancient stuff you are using - you are on
your own now. It’s same as with the stuff that never got the RFC.

so anyone supporting an older internal network using modern tools has to stop upgrading their tooling. that's not constructive for anybody. all of us will be less safe if these tools become non-upgradeable.

Paul, sorry, but the argument “but I know of people running” ancient
systems can’t be used at every attempt to cleanup the kitchensink
protocol that DNS is right now.

ondrej, if you're looking for stuff to kill that nobody is using and that needlessly fattens the camel, there's a lot of lower hanging fruit.

to say it's complicated, let's simplify it, and oh by the way we need to add a CNAME to support the never-workable RFC 5011 plan we adopted in ignorance many years back, in the same breath, confuses me.

--
P Vixie