> It might be a different story if one of those zombie RRtypes required
> additional processing. None spring to mind though.

But (most of) those I picked actually *DO*:

a) compression is allowed, so compliant and non-compliant servers can’t speak
together, because non-compliant will just store junk in the RDATA when received
from compliant server;
b) the RDATA needs to be understood and lowercased for canonical form when
DNSSEC signing; again you need to *implement* this in DNSSEC Validator as it
would cause validation failures if you don't

And all this extra work must be done for RR Types that are unused in current
protocols. The implementation for these M* types isn’t just wire<->human
readable translation.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý