Ondřej Surý wrote:
What’s so wrong of using TYPExxx for these if you absolutely need
them to run the ancient technology while at the same time running the
latest version of BIND (or your favorite DNS server)?

because i am loathe to break existing working configurations. when isc changed the value of allow-query to be LAN only, it took years to do as safely as we knew how, and even so there was some breakage.

Your argument feels like strawman to me. And I am not the one sitting
on a pile of passive DNS data, so I can’t pull the numbers...

we don't see a lot of intranet data, so that would not be dispositive. however, i urge you to reconsider your strawman-ish feelings. we are forever rebuilding the airplane in flight. the long tail matters.

We are not taking the ability to put random TYPEnnn records into the
zone, we are just saying the tools just won’t understand them
anymore. Again nothing is going to break on the day one.

as long as people know what they're doing and are willing to convert their zones using tools unspecified, that's true. but you are chewing on the narrowest part of bert's camel here, at some risk, little gain.

--
P Vixie