On 25 Mar 2018, at 9:05, Evan Hunt wrote:

I think it would help if there were more clarity on what exactly is being proposed, other than adding the words "obsolete" or "deprecated" to a list
of RRtypes on a website somewhere. The draft didn't seem to have
particularly clear guidance to implementers.

Fully agree. I would hope that such guidance gets into the draft before it moves forwards.

These RR types have text representations and wire format representations,
which from a complexity standpoint seem quite harmless to implement.

Yes.

There
are the old annoying rules about name compression and sorting, which do add some complexity, but are already implemented in all the existing codebases.

....and probably needs to be kept for the future to interoperate with the current code bases.

I don't see how the IETF can mandate that they be removed, nor am I sure
it's particuilarly worth doing.

Right.

We can make them optional to implement in
the future, though.

....except that, if some implementer reads this document as meaning that they don't have to handle the listed RRtypes in any special way, they could get nailed when interoperating with implementations that handle the compression correctly.

Perhaps that's all Ondrej has in mind?

Only he can say. :-)

--Paul Hoffman