At Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:43:44 -0400,
Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:

> > Right, so I think one main question is why the root DNS zone case is
> > so special that a protocol extension is justified.  Personally, I'm
> > not yet fully convinced about it through the discussion so far.  As
> > several other people seem to be persuaded, however, maybe I'm too wary
> > just because of my hat of handling eventual "named triggers an
> > assertion failure after zone transfer for some bogus zone digest"
> > CVEs.  But at the same time, if my sense of the wg's take on the "DNS
> > camel" discussion is correct, I think we (WG) should require a higher
> > level of justification for new protocol features.
>
> This can, but does not have, to be built into the nameserver itself.

True, and I might feel much better if the draft said "name server
implementations MUST NOT compute or validate the zone digest
in their code":-).  More seriously, my concern with the "hat" wouldn't
be addressed simply because it can be implemented outside of a name server
implementation.  In fact, I can see it'll eventually be included in
code base I'll have to maintain if it's officially adopted and
published.  On the other hand, if we're okay with an out-of-band
implementation (independently from whether we like it in a name
server), then I guess it will become less distinguishable from
out-of-band digest approaches.  Either way it requires the operators
to use an additional tool, and it's therefore more operationally
costly, error prone, or easier to be ignored/forgotten.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya