Philip Homburg <pch-dnso...@u-1.phicoh.com> writes:

> I think there is a big difference between distributing the root zone and
> distributing a few 'local' zones.
>
> In the first case you need something that is massively scalable.

I'm afraid I don't see those as different problems like you do.  I'd
like a massively scalable way of distributing any zone, not just the
root.  If for no other reason, .arpa and root-servers.net should be
included too, for example.

Yes, huge zones like .com and similar are not possible.  But there are
many other TLDs that likely are possible to pre-cache and serve locally.

> In the second case, just create a tar file with a zone file and a hash, put
> it up on a web server and the problem is solved. Verifying the contents of a
> file is not exactly a new problem.

No, very true.  But a standardized and agreed upon way of doing it for
DNS zone data currently doesn't exist.  That's what we're trying to accomplish.

--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI