On 21 Aug 2018, at 16:23, Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bert...@open-xchange.com>
wrote:

> And I have yet to see a statement from the DoH community that Mozilla's idea
> of making DoH the default and disregarding whatever resolver is being
> configured in the system via DHCP is not a good one.

Why would/should the DoH community -- whatever that is -- make such a
statement? In some cases, it will be better to use the current network’s
resolving DNS servers. In others it won’t. For some definition of “better”. The
use or non-use of DoH is somewhat orthogonal to those underlying
considerations.

Deciding what’s “good” or “bad" gets very messy very quickly. For instance I
might decide to trust $coffeeshop’s resolver in my home town (say) but not at a
branch of $coffeeshop that's behind the Great Firewall of China. Or
$coffeeshop’s outlet in the foyer of my employer’s building.

> Actually, during the discussions in Montreal there were people talking about
> centralized DNS operators paying the browser makers to get their DNS traffic,
> and then monetizing it to get back the money. How can this be presented as
> "more privacy" is baffling.

If this happens, it can be worked around. Almost nobody is going to be forced
to use privacy-unfriendly browsers or resolvers at gunpoint. Besides, providers
offering “even more privacy” will emerge if this centralisation/monetisation
thing turns out to be a problem. Having low barriers to entry is one of the
nice things about the Internet. Well OK, it’s a nice thing some of the time. :-)