On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM Vladimír Čunát <vladimir.cu...@nic.cz> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that the resolver parts will be important, regardless of
> what exact mechanism will be chosen.  My reasoning is that you can't rely on
> any changes there being widely deployed soon, and there might not be enough
> incentive to implement and deploy.  On the authoritative side, on the other
> hand, it's enough to just get support on all servers *you* use, and the
> incentives seem much stronger, too.
>
> --Vladimir

I think it's totally wrong to *choose* here what we think is the best
method to solve the issue. Note that ANAME/ALIAS/whatever is already
widely deployed on the authoritative side i.e. DNS providers like AWS,
PointDNS, DNSMadeEasy, Constellix, Cloudflare (on enterprise plans),
and probably many others. Surely their implementations differ from
each other and what is exactly supported varies a lot, but regardless
of that these providers and their customers are already in consensus
about the key details. Me and many others will be using those
providers no matter whether there will be an RFC or not. Zone
transfers will be hard and feature parity will be lacking but at least
it somewhat works while we keep designing the perfecting Internet that
nobody else has time to wait for.