It appears that Mukund Sivaraman  <m...@mukund.org> said:
>   Copyright (c) 2022 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
>   document authors.  All rights reserved.
>
>By way of this, by removing the names of authors, isn't the copyright
>notice attributed to the (original) document authors also being removed?
>
>Clearly the text is not copyright of the new authors in this document: ...

Hi, trustee of the IETF Trust here. With rare exceptions that don't apply here,
when anyone submits an I-D or publishes an RFC, they grant a permanent license
to let anyone use the material in later drafts or RFCs in the IETF process.
There is no requirement for attribution or notice. We made that decision
deliberately, so that new drafts and RFCs can build on old ones. It also happens
that due to a treaty called the Berne Convention, the copyright notice on a
document no longer has any legal meaning at all.

While taking someone else's draft and putting your name on it as another draft
is legal, that's not the question here. It's whether it's ethical and something
we want to encourage. My impression is that in this case it was a
misunderstanding and I hope it will be sorted out shortly.

R's,
John