Path MTU discovery remains widely undeployed due to
   security issues, and IP fragmentation has exposed weaknesses in
   application protocols.

PMTUD doesn’t work through NAT and that’s probably the main reason why it doesn’t work on the Internet. I think that’s less of a security issue than just a general issue with PMTUD not working on the modern Internet.

Currently, DNS is known to be the largest
   user of IP fragmentation.

Compared to what? I would just drop this sentence because it doesn’t add anything to the document and it’s trying to make a point that doesn’t need to be made.

 Most of the Internet and especially the inner core has an MTU of
 at least 1500 octets.  Maximum DNS/UDP payload size for IPv6 on
 MTU 1500 ethernet is 1452 (1500 minus 40 (IPv6 header size) minus
 8 (UDP header size)).  To allow for possible IP options and
 distant tunnel overhead, authors' recommendation of default
 maximum DNS/UDP payload size is 1400.

Before I was interested in the DNS I worked for an ethernet switch vendor for 8 years, and I often find the way MTU gets talked about in IETF documents simply weird. MTU is a measurement of maximum frame size for a network segment starting at Layer 2. Yet there’s no discussion of layer 2 here. The discussion starts at layer 3 and because of that the math doesn’t make any sense to me.

Is there just an assumption that layer 2 will consume 18 bytes? (6+6+2+4) (DA+SA+ET+FCS) Can we state this assumption in the document? As I read it now it’s not clear how many bytes are assumed to be consumed by layer 2 headers.

I said many of these same things in a mail to this list on August 12, 2020 but never received a response.

Thanks,
Andrew