On 31 Jul 2022, at 20:53, Paul Vixie wrote:

Andrew McConachie wrote on 2022-07-28 03:24:
Path MTU discovery remains widely undeployed due to
   security issues, and IP fragmentation has exposed weaknesses in
   application protocols.

PMTUD doesn’t work through NAT and that’s probably the main reason why it doesn’t work on the Internet. I think that’s less of a security issue than just a general issue with PMTUD not working on the modern Internet.
path mtu discovery has been significantly rethought in the modern internet:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8899.html

apparently, it sometimes works:

https://developers.redhat.com/articles/2022/05/23/plpmtud-delivers-better-path-mtu-discovery-sctp-linux

see also:

<<This new algorithm does not rely on ICMP or other messages from the
network (so it is not subject to the problems described in RFC2923).
Instead it finds the proper MTU by starting with relatively small
packets and searching upwards by probing with test packets.>>

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/plpmtud/about/

i suggest further reading and perhaps reconsideration. we've got to break out of the MTU 1500 jail some day or the internet will end in header processing related heat death. some work is being done and some results are already known. we should be open to the possibility of improvement.

I apologize for derailing this conversation by bringing up NAT. My point was that the document makes a claim that PMTUD ‘remains widely undeployed due to security issues’. Yet it makes no reference to anything that might back up that claim. I would suggest the document not make any claim as to why PMTUD remains widely undeployed. If it must make such a claim then there should be some supporting evidence for it.

—Andrew