see inline.

Andrew McConachie wrote on 2022-08-04 06:32:

On 31 Jul 2022, at 20:53, Paul Vixie wrote:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/plpmtud/about/

i suggest further reading and perhaps reconsideration. we've got to break out of the MTU 1500 jail some day or the internet will end in header processing related heat death. some work is being done and some results are already known. we should be open to the possibility of improvement.

I apologize for derailing this conversation by bringing up NAT. My point was that the document makes a claim that PMTUD ‘remains widely undeployed due to security issues’. Yet it makes no reference to anything that might back up that claim. I would suggest the document not make any claim as to why PMTUD remains widely undeployed. If it must make such a claim then there should be some supporting evidence for it.

the claim isn't essential, but i think it's valuable to understanding. would you accept this edit: "was never widely deployed due to perceived security issues having to do with ICMP and IP Options"?

separately we ought to add a reference to PLPMTUD (which != PMTUD) but that's an answer to a different part of this thread.

--
P Vixie