It appears that George Michaelson  <g...@algebras.org> said:

>> > 4) Say in English prose that since the DNS ignores ASCII case
>> > distinctions, all versions of .alt are excluded from the DNS, but it's
>> > up to each non-DNS thing to choose which if any of the versions it
>> > uses and it how it interprets them.
>>
>> That feels best to me.
>>
>> --Paul Hoffman
>
>I don't see how this works in practice for the consequence of control
>moving to nsswitch.conf, and like processes.

I don't see any reason why that is our problem.

On my system at least, the only DNS queries that go through nsswitch
are ones starting from calls like getaddrinfo() or gethostbyname(). If
you're interested in MX or SRV or HTTPS or anything other than A and
AAAA records, you're on your own. The switch to .onion doesn't use
nsswitch, but rather something a couple of levels up in a socket
proxy.

If people want to splice their stuff into this corner of the domain
name space it's up to them to figure out how to make it work.

R's,
John