On Dec 14, 2022, at 05:37, Martin Schanzenbach <mschanzenb...@posteo.de> wrote:

> I think my main issue is the word "wholly".
> The developer cannot be "wholly" responsible.
> I can choose a label (e.g. "foo.alt") that is not already taken right
> now.
> But I cannot really do anything if somebody else comes along and uses
> the same label. It is not my responsibility to mitigate the emerging
> collisions. Or how is it expected that I do that? Change my design?
> Bribe the other group?

If this is your concern, anchor your alternative space into a DNS namespace.

If you want to be able to pick any string, it’s only fair others can do the
same. Ones reaps what one sows.

> "bob.foo.alt" still squarely falls into "my" namespace

It is indeed not “yours”. If you want a unique name solely belonging to you,
you have to play with the rules set out for those.

Paul