On Wed, 15 Feb 2023 at 11:27, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 08:51, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> It’s hard to see how the way that qdcount >1 was “standardized” (by word
> of mouth without any document) was in any sense healthy, unfortunately.
>

> I'm not convinced that 1034/5 really allow QDCOUNT > 1, even if they left
> that door temptingly open. But we know that those are old documents that
> lack normative clarity. What the RFCs do or don't allow is not always the
> end of the story, not all open doors lead where you expect, etc.

Sure, I guess.

That you can't fully derive the nature of the DNS protocol from documents
> in the IETF alone is surely not news to anybody. However, this is also
> tribal knowledge and also not written down and therefore probably not very
> apparent to people from other tribes. Whether this is healthy is a matter
> of perspective, I guess.

Actually this is exactly the windmill at which I am tilting. If we haven’t
written it down in a spec, it is unreasonable to expect random implementers
to learn about it some other way.

It will be interesting to find out whether using QDCOUNT > 1 in practice is
> useful.

It clearly is, in the sense that someone is using it and it keeps coming
up. :)