Hi George,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 19:37, George Michaelson <g...@algebras.org> wrote:

> purely administratively, I'd like to understand how the WG chairs and
> AD intend dealing with fundamentally opposed drafts.

There's only one draft here, as far as I know.

Ted pointed out a DNS implementation in OpenThread that is based on a different
interpretation of 1035 than (I think) the more usual understanding reflected in
DNS implementation in use in the public DNS. The purpose of this draft is to
highlight some problems with that interpretation and to propose a consensus
interpretation of 1035 (a clarification) so that other people might avoid them.

Implementations are free to make whatever choices they want regardless of what
any working group says. OpenThread's approach might work perfectly well in a
constrained environment where the DNS servers receiving queries with QDCOUNT >
1 are built to suit IoT devices' particular requirements and assumptions. That
doesn't make it a good idea for the protocol in general.

This draft is not about OpenThread's particular situation; it's about the base
protocol.

I don't see any conflict, here.

Joe