On Fri, 10 Nov 2023, David Conrad wrote:
DNSBLs have been around a lot longer than QNAME minimization.

Not sure that’s relevant — I presume you’re not suggesting DNSBLs are a
predominant use of the DNS.

In the overall Internet, no, but within the e-mail world it's probably the majority of the traffic since mail servers do multiple DNSBL checks on every incoming message.

They work(ed) fine without minimization and I don't think it is reasonable
to expect every mail system in the world to change their configuration
to work around our performance bug.

I thought the point of QNAME minimization was to improve privacy.

In many cases it does that. Unfortunately, for DNSBLs (and maybe some other applications) it is in effect a DDoS with no privacy improvement at all.

As I think I said a few messages ago, I hope people have done traffic studies so we can see if there are other situations like this that we could fix at the same time.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY