I wrote a note to Peter and his co-author on this discussion and we(chairs)
feel that Paul W is correct in saying _signal is too generic.

We should not overload any underscore label for multiple purposes.  If
another type of operator signalling appears, a new label can be acquired.
Being specific in this situation is a *good* thing.  It is not difficult to
request a new underscore name, the process was made lightweight.
The underscore registry is used by application folks as much if not more
than DNS folks.

Additionally in the Domain Verification Techniques document, there is a
recommended approach to use application-specific underscore prefix labels

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-domain-verification-techniques-04.html#name-scope-indication

I apologize to the implementers on this.

Unless the working group speaks up, then the advice of Paul Wouters, as one
of the expert reviewers for the registry, should be the suggestion.

thanks
tim