Hi Kenneth

Em 30/07/2017 11:17, khanson679 escreveu:
> sophi wrote
>> Could you add links to what you're talking about and the duplication you
>> see, it would be easier to help you.
>
> Right. So on the main website doc page
> (http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation) we have: getting started
> 5.2, installing extensions, user guides for 5.x and 4.x (ODF, PDF,
> purchase). Other help resources on separate pages.

Yes

> On the documentation website
> (http://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/), then, we
> have: online help, quick reference, getting started, individual app guides,
> and "more" (which is currently empty). Getting started and user guides,
> then, have ODF, PDF, purchase, *plus* ODF/PDF individual chapters and an
> online version.

This site as originally designed to be a text-free, quick way to
download published LibreOffice literature from the community, that
otherwise was diluted in the wiki and many other pages. The page layouts
there are responsibility of the national communities, the current layout
is just a suggestion. Contents is responsibility of the communities too,
and are in general, the translation of the English guides.

The website is also accessed by the software in the Help menu "User guides".

There are about an average 600 visits a day in this site and these are
the figures of downloads in the last week:
Quick reference card (ODT): 216
Calc guide (PDF): 122
Base guide (PDF): 100
Writer guide (PDF): 79
(...)
Getting Started Guide: 67

There is almost no download for ODT files or chapters.

Given the above, we can consider to work on
- Remove all ODT files (and archive them in the wiki or ODFAuthor)
- Remove old books and make the page simpler
- Improve visual appearance of the page
- Stimulate national communities to add contents to the website
- more...

> The wiki Publications page
> (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications) has links
> to nearly everything, including things not on the others. I've already moved
> the least "publication"-like things to another wiki page.
>
> I don't know who's in charge of the websites or what the plans are, but the
> current situation is a mess...which I'm happy to help clean up if it's
> something anyone can do.

Thanks for the initiative, much appreciated. No one is actually "in
charge", pages are created by the community members so everybody is "in
charge", including removing SPAM and caring on the accuracy of the
information. That is the way TDF wiki works.

> Aside: design-wise the doc website also seems rather questionable to me, and
> hard to navigate. Giant text, giant graphical tiles for links, giant inline
> pictures, collapsing content instead of sidebar nav. But that's a topic for
> another time.

Please feel free to suggest another layout/color/design. As said above,
it was conceived to be a download point for published community
documents, and not a documentation (contents) website per-se.

>> You can open a discussion page under the documentation project in the
>> wiki and put the links of the page you want us to discuss, that would be
>> really helpful
>
> Sure. Actually, I've seen some statements about the wiki needing cleanup
> overall, so I'd be interested to hear from whoever has thoughts about that.

Thanks again for raising the issue.

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator